Repairs to your Advance home

Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs can be reported between the hours of 5pm – 9am on 01670 528499.

If a workman attends for what turns out to be a non-emergency, you may be asked to pay the cost of the workman’s visit. Repairs carried out as an emergency cost considerably more than daytime repairs.

If you use the emergency service because you are locked out of your home, you will be charged a fee. The cost of the locksmith’s visit will be passed to you and this is likely to be in excess of £100.

Before reporting a repair you should make sure that you know whether it is your responsibility or ours to carry out the repair. Once you've checked your responsibilities, if you want to report a repair you can call us on 01670 528499 or report it online using the form below.

Check your responsibilities

Dampness in your home can lead to mould on walls, furniture, clothes and curtains. However, it isn't always easy to work out the main cause of damp.

Check the causes of damp

Take the first step in getting that repair sorted

All homes need some TLC from time to time to keep them ship-shape.

There are some repairs within your home that you are responsible for and some that we, as our landlord, will look after for you.

  • What YOU must do
  • What WE must do

It’s up to you to look after your home and avoid causing any damage wherever possible. This means keeping your home clean, decorating it, making sure the garden is kept tidy, carrying out minor maintenance such as unblocking sinks and checking fire alarms, ventilating your home and using the heating properly to avoid dampness and burst pipes.

If you damage your home or another tenant’s flat (e.g. if water leaks into another flat from an overflowing bath), you are responsible for paying for the repairs. You’re also responsible for paying to put right any damage caused by your visitors. If damage is not repaired, or not repaired to meet our standards, we will put it right and re-charge you for this (e.g. damaged sinks/toilets, damaged windows, changing locks because keys have been lost, repairing flooding from appliances or baths).

Generally you are also responsible for:

  • Repairing and maintaining a fixture, fitting or appliance you have out in, unless we have an agreement to maintain it for you.
  • Allowing us into your home to carry out repairs, safety checks and any inspections that we need to do.
  • Decorating your home, including filling minor cracks or holes in walls and ceilings.
  • Taking action to prevent pipes from freezing or bursting.
  • Taking action to prevent and control condensation.
  • Draft proofing (although you may be eligible to get help with this).
  • Curtain rails, washing lines, tidy driers, door bells, coat hooks, towel rails and toilet roll holders.
  • Minor adjustments to kitchen units, cupboards and drawers.
  • Cleaning extractor fans.
  • Wall and floor tiles (unless supplied by us).
  • Securing or replacing toilet seats.
  • Bleeding radiators.
  • Replacing glass in windows and doors, unless you have reported the damage to the police as vandalism.
  • Resetting trip switches.
  • Replacing plugs and chains on baths, basins and sinks.
  • Keeping gully grids clear of leaves and other rubbish.
  • Replacing keys or locks when keys are lost or when you get locked out.
  • Adjusting doors when you have fitted new carpets.
  • Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes or starters (including external security lights).
  • Replacing electrical plugs (not sockets) and plug fuses to your own appliances.
  • Clearing blockages in basins, sinks, baths and toilets caused by inappropriate use.
  • Dealing with any pests such as ants and wasps nests.

We maintain all our homes to a high standard and as your landlord we will maintain and repair your home’s structure and exterior so that it is secure and weather-tight.

We also carry out yearly gas, oil and solid fuel safety checks to fires and appliances, smoke alarms and lifts. You must allow us access to your home to carry out these important safety checks.

We are also responsible for repairs to your home’s heating and hot water including any gas appliances, electrical wiring, sanitary fittings and any common areas.

We will also carry out any necessary repairs to make sure your home is safe following a break-in or vandalism. (Note: we will need a police crime or incident number).

Generally we are reponsible for:

  • Ensuring your home is secure structurally sound and weather tight.
  • Shared areas.
  • Fixtures and fittings we have installed.
  • Maintaining systems for the supply of hot and cold water in your home.
  • Maintaining windows and doors.
  • All gas pipes, heating systems, electric wiring and power and light fitting.
  • Any items we originally provided but not those that are listed as your responsibility.
  • Please note we are only responsible for the water, electric and gas supply inside the property (after the meter or stopcock).

Causes of damp

Everyday things like cooking, boiling the kettle, showering, drying clothes in the house and even breathing all cause moisture in the air. The air can only hold a certain amount of moisture - the warmer it is, the more it can hold. If this is cooled by contact with a cold surface such as mirror, a window or even a wall, the moisture will turn into droplets of water - condensation. This is what happens when the mirrors mists up in the bathroom and why you notice it more in the winter.

It is quite normal to find your bedroom windows misted up in the morning after a cold night. This doesn’t mean you have a serious condensation problem.

What can be done?

If you have damp in your home that is the result of leaking pipes, a structural defect (such as a leaking roof) or an existing damp proof course that is no longer working we will take action to repair this for you.

If your home never seems to be free from condensation, or you have mould growth there are some simple steps that you can take to help.

  • Produce less moisture
  • Improve ventilation
  • Heating your home
  • Help and advice

Some ordinary daily activities produce a lot of moisture very quickly so where possible:

  • Dry your washing outside whenever you can. You can also hang it in the bathroom, keeping the door closed and the window wide open.
  • While cooking, always cover pans and don't leave kettles boiling.
  • Never use portable gas bottles or paraffin (flueless) heaters.

To help prevent the build up of condensation:

  • Keep a small window and/or a trickle vent open when a room is in use.
  • Ventilate bathrooms and kitchens.
  • Keep bathroom and kitchen doors closed even if they have extractor fans.
  • Ventilate cupboards and wardrobes - do not overfill wardrobes - let the air circulate freely inside.

We have insulated your home to help keep it warm but to reduce the risk of condensation you also need to keep it warm with heating.

A constant, low-level form of heating provides the most economical form of heat and reduces the likelihood of condensation.

For free independent advice on energy-saving and help with related benefits call the Northumberland Warm Zone team on 01670 356 642 or visit

There is also the independent Energy Saving Trust who offer a source of free advice for people looking to save energy who can be contacted on 0800 512 012 or visit

Report a Repair

This online form is for reporting NEW non emergency repairs only (not for an update on repairs that you have already reported). If you need to report an emergency repair please telephone 01670 528499.

Criminal damage?
Yes No
Yes No
Special Circumstances?

Are there special circumstances we need to be aware of e.g. I am unsteady on my feet and may fall.


Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to help make it more useful and reliable. Our cookies page explains what they are, which ones we use, and how you can manage or remove them. read more